Jumpsuit pattern design

I wanted to make a jumpsuit for a while and sure there are a lot of patterns available by the pattern designers. But being creative as I am, I wanted to draft it myself of course. On Pinterest I found a little inspiration of how you turn pants and a bodice into a jumpsuit. Just lengthen the bodice and blend the side seams of the pants to the bodice. Easy as that ……. not quite… I admit.

Ik wilde al een tijdje een jumpsuit maken en natuurlijk zijn daar veel patronen voor te krijgen bij allerlei patroon ontwerpers. Maar creatief als ik ben, wilde ik het zelf ontwerpen, allicht. Op Pinterest vond ik wat inspiratie over het samenvoegen van broek en lijfje tot een jumpsuit. Enkel het lijfje verlengen en de zijnaad van de broek laten overlopen naar het lijstje. Simpel genoeg ….. niet dus… moet ik helaas toegeven.

I started to draft a new pattern for the bodice and lengthened this at the waist with 3 cm. Than a new high waist pattern for the pants. The waist have to be as wide as the hips otherwise you can’t get in. And because my muslin would be of woven fabric, I diced to put an invisible zipper in de mid back. Also for summer I liked a v-neck in front and back. Little cap sleeves would be nice as well. The bust dart is moved to the waist and the fabric is gathered instead of dart for a loose look. Everything went absolutely quick and easy. But when I tried it on……. oh my gosh….. to short in the crotch and not enough fabric left over to fix it…..

Allereerst maakte ik een nieuw patroon voor het bovenlijf en dat verlengde ik met 3 cm. Dan een nieuw broek patroon met hoge taille. De taille moet net zo wijd zijn als de heupen, anders kom je er niet in. En omdat mijn toille stof zonder rek is, besloot ik een blinde rits in de middenachter te zetten. Voor de zomer vind ik een v-hals voor en achter leuk. En kleine kapmouwtjes zag ik ook al voor me. De coupenaad is verlegd naar de taille en stof is gerimpeld in plaats can van een naad, dat geeft een leuke losse look. Alles ging makkelijk en snel. Maar toen ik ging passen…… oh jee…. te kort in de kruisnaad en geen stof over om dat te herstellen…

I kept thinking of options to fix the muslin. The rayon fabric is gorgeous but has some marks of being the last on the roll… but I love so much that I want to fix the jumpsuit and of course I need to learn what to change on my pattern. One option is to go for a very wide elastic waistband… but that won’t fix the length of the crotch. So I need some fabric that lengthens the crotch but will also be good for gathering the waist. In my leftover boxes I found a piece of white Traveljersey. The waistband is 5cm wide and the bow comes in the middle. And that worked out fine ….. YEAH…

Ik bleef maar nadenken hoe ik de toille kon redden. De viscose is zo mooi maar heeft wat vegen van het laatste op de rol zijn die er niet uit gaan. Ik vind hem echter zo mooi dat ik toch die jumpsuit wil afmaken en ik wil natuurlijk ook leren hoe ik het patroon moet aanpassen. Een optie is het inzetten van een heel brede elastische tailleband… maar dat lost de lengte van het kruis niet op. Dus ik heb stof nodig om dit te verlengen en tevens om een tailleband te zijn die je aantrekken. In mijn restlappen box vond ik een stuk travelstof. De tailleband is 5 cm hoog en in het midden een tunnel voor het koord. Nou en dat was dus de oplossing ….. YEAH….